On some earlier posts (tagged scplugin) I was trying to get scplugin working on my Mac (OS X 10.4.6). It seems like the problem may be due to subversion (svn) failing to communicate with my SMB-based repository. To test that, I made a local repository and created a test project within it.
First, let’s make sure DarwinPorts is up-to-date:
$ port sync
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port sync failed: sync failed doing rsync
Doh! I always forget to sudo that command…
$ sudo port sync
$ sudo port selfupdate
DarwinPorts base version 1.200 installed
Downloaded DarwinPorts base version 1.211
Configuring, Building and Installing new DarwinPorts base
$ port version
(Just because I’m paranoid…)
Okay, now let’s see what version of svn I have installed, and compare that to what’s available from DarwinPorts:
$ svn −−version
svn, version 1.3.0 (r17949)
compiled Apr 4 2006, 11:47:42
$ port info subversion
subversion 1.3.1, devel/subversion (Variants: mod_dav_svn, no_neon, no_bdb, mac-os-x-server-mod_dav_svn, tools)
Yep, the 1.3.1 version has made it into DarwinPorts so let’s upgrade that:
$ sudo port upgrade subversion
−−−> Fetching subversion
yadda yadda yadda
−−−> Installing subversion 1.3.1_0
−−−> Activating subversion 1.3.1_0
−−−> Cleaning subversion
$ svn −−version
svn, version 1.3.1 (r19032)
compiled Apr 20 2006, 15:31:38
Cool, the tools are up-to-date, so now it’s time to make a new local repository.
$ svnadmin create /path/to/local/repository
$ svn import -m “Creating testproj” testproj/ file:///path/to/local/repository
Committed revision 1.
Now let’s checkout a copy of the project and see how it looks in Finder.
$ svn checkout file:///path/to/local/repository/testproj
svn: URL ‘file:///path/to/local/repository/testproj’ doesn’t exist
Oops, looks like I screwed up the repository import. I’ll just check out the whole repository for now, and rtfm for help with project importing later.
$ svn checkout file:///path/to/local/repository/
Checked out revision 1.
A quick perusal with Finder doesn’t show any visual svn status indicators, but after I made a change to the file I got to see scplugin’s “red bang” over the file icon, indicating that the file was out of sync with the repository. Woo hoo! Right-clicking or control-clicking on the changed file presents me with a Subversion context menu, from which I selected commit:
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 2.
Process finished with exit status 0.
That looks pretty good. Unfortunately, scplugin hasn’t changed the status indicator in Finder–it’s still showing the red bang, even though the working copy and the repository are now in sync. Relaunching Finder doesn’t change this. 🙁 Hmm…
Well, that’s some progress–at least subversion is working! I’ll play with scplugin some more and see what I can find out.