Our roof is covered!

We spent *all day* Saturday putting plywood and OSB on the roof, but we had to call it quits when we ran out of material. Fortunately we got the main roof covered, along with half of the front gable.


We ran about 20 sheets short on the OSB. I’m actually glad that we ran out–we were all getting pretty whipped, and if we had kept it up I’m afraid that somebody might have gotten hurt. We weren’t *quite* exhausted by the end of the day–Jimmy and Jay still had enough energy to clown around in front of the camera:


The house looks *much* better now that the roof is (mostly) covered. We were also finally able to get the remaining lumber out of the front yard and water the grass. After just a few days of watering, our brown/tan front yard is starting to show tinges of green. (And it smells more pleasant, too. I hated that dusty, dry grass scent!)


Our next project is to finish installing the plywood around the outside edge of the roof, so that we can get gutters installed. The masonry crew will be out to extend the chimney about 5′ or so. Meanwhile we’ll tack up the rest of the OSB over the gables and shoot a *bunch* of nails in the body of each sheet, so we can get our roof installed (after shear and roof diaphragm inspection).

About Jim Vanderveen

I'm a bit of a Renaissance man, with far too many hobbies for my free time! But more important than any hobby is my family. My proudest accomplishment has been raising some great kids! And somehow convincing my wife to put up with me since 1988. ;)
This entry was posted in Our home remodeling project, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *