Construction started on our remodel/addition project six months ago, today. We were hoping to be finished by now, but at least the end is in sight! I’m almost done with the wiring (*finally!*), and we’re just about ready to jump our next major hurdle–rough frame inspection. Once we’re past that, we’ve got about four weeks until our kitchen is operational, so we ought to be able to host Thanksgiving this year. Hooray!
I haven’t been posting many pictures, either here or on our (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonicchicken/collections/72157601178466844/)–either I can’t find the camera when I need it, or (more typically) I’m just too busy to shoot any pics. Yesterday was an exception. We had our GC send out a crew to finish some of the framing yesterday, and I managed to get some photos of (what’s left of) our kitchen:
I also managed to get a picture of the laundry/utility room before the doors were installed:
The stucco foreman came out to look at the project yesterday. He gave us a rather long list of things that needed to be taken care of before he could put up the lath. 🙁 But the good news is that he had his crew set up the scaffolding early so that we could use it to finish sheathing our gables. (That’ll be much easier than hauling sheets of plywood up a pair of ladders!)
Work remaining before rough frame inspection:
– (us) Finish rough electrical–mostly the kitchen, which I can start now that the kitchen framing is done;
– (plumber) Finish rough plumbing–water heater T&P hookup, utility sink vent reconnected;
– (us) Take care of the issues listed by the stucco foreman;
– (insul.) Insulate the original west wall of the house (insulation crew is scheduled for next Monday);
– (us) Sheath the wall after insulation is installed (rain forecast for Tuesday, so Barb and I will do this Monday evening);
– (us) Sheath the rest of the gables (after rough plumbing is finished);
– (stucco) House wrap and lath for stucco.
We’ve got a busy weekend ahead of us! But hopefully we can be ready for our rough frame inspection by late next week, which would leave us five weeks until Thanksgiving. It’ll be close, but I think we can make it.
Hi there all,
Just registering my peek at your blog…quite an ordeal this remodel business! Where do you live in the meantime? At least the pot rack is up…bodes well for Thanksgiving victuals. Cal and I are having a house warming (no gifts solicited) slash open house to celebrate the demise of the last moving box. All kith and kin are most welcome. Oct 20, a Saturday evening from about 5 PM to whenever. Comida e bebitas gratia del casa.
Hi Greg! Actually, we’re living in the house while we remodel it. F-U-N!
I really hope we can make it to your house warming, but we’ve got an *awful* lot to do this week and next!